Suffering From Hair Loss? Stop Worrying

Every one wants to have beautiful, long and strong hair. It is normal to shed some hair each day. However, some people may experience excessive hair loss. Hair loss of this type can affect anyone men, women and children.

Very few people know that the normal cycle of hair growth lasts for 2 to 6 years. Each hair grows approximately 1 centimeter per month. 90 percent of the hair on everyone’s scalp is growing at any one time. The rest 10 percent of the hair on your scalp is in a resting phase. After 2 to 3 months, the resting hair falls out and new hair starts to grow in its place.

Causes of excessive hair loss

There are many reasons that can cause excessive hair loss.

Illness Or Surgery

It can be 3 or 4 months after an illness or a major surgery. This may result in sudden large amount of hair loss. This hair loss is due to the stress of the illness and it is temporary.

Hormonal Imbalance

Hormonal problems may also be one of the reasons of hair loss. Over activeness or under activeness of thyroid gland may cause hair fall. You can stop them by treating your thyroid disease. Imbalance of male or female hormones, known as androgens and estrogens, may also cause hair loss. You will just need to bring them back in balance to prevent hair loss.

Pregnancy

Many women experience hair loss about 3 months after they’ve had a baby. This loss is due to hormones. While a lady is pregnant, high levels of certain hormones cause the body to keep hair that would in normal case fall out. And when the hormones again return to pre-pregnancy levels, that hair falls out and the normal cycle of growth and loss starts again.

Medicines And Infections

Some medicines can also result in hair loss. And when you stop taking the medicine hair loss also reduces.

Hair loss may also occur due to certain infection such as fungal infections of the scalp which can be treated with antifungal medicines.

Diseases like lupus or diabetes may also cause hair loss.

Improper Care

Improper care of your hair can also cause loss in hair. Wearing pigtails or cornrows or use tight hair rollers, the pull on your hair can cause a type of hair loss which is called traction alopecia. If you stop wearing such kind of hairstyles, your hair will grow back normally

Scarring can cause permanent hair loss. This can be a result of hot oil treatment etc.

Hair Loss Treatment

Hair loss treatment depends on your type of hair loss. If imbalance in hormones has caused hair loss, it can be treated by balancing the hormones. If a medicine is causing your hair loss, your can ask your doctor for an alternate medicine.

Medicines may also help prevent the development of common baldness. One medicine, minoxidil is available without a prescription. It is applied to the scalp. Both men and women can use it. Another is finasteride (brand name: Propecia) is available with a prescription which is only for men. It comes in pills.

If you are unable to find adequate treatment for your type of hair loss, you may try different hairstyles or wigs, hairpieces, hair weaves or even you can go for artificial hair replacement.